Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My journey with Fifths Disease/Parvo Virus B19

I really wanted to get this post typed out before Clarke's arrival in 15 days. This is mainly for my documentation since I print these blogs into books, but I am sure some of you may find it interesting, especially if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

First of all, for those of you that don't know what Fifths Disease/Parvo B19 is, it is a common childhood virus more frequently referred to as "Slapped Cheek Disease." The symptoms in children are very mild. Usually just like a cold. Once you see their cheeks get a glowing red, and sometimes a lacy rash on their trunk, arms and legs, it is no longer contaigous. The people that this virus is most harmful to happens to be pregnant women. Surprised? I was. In my opinion there is not nearly enough publicity or awareness of this for pregnant women.

Our story begins back in March. I am not even really sure when in March, or far along I was at the time, but I started noticing Simms' cheeks glowing red. She hadn't been sick, or not that I could recall, but her cheeks were staying this bright red color. A few days later..the same thing with Cope. That weekend I noticed my face kind of burning after my shower and at first I just thought it may be my blood pressure, although it had been perfect at an OB visit earlier that week. I also had a rash on my thighs. I mentioned to Simms' preschool teacher one day as Simms walked to the car that her cheeks were SO red. Her teacher told me that Fifths Disease had been going around the preschool. At that time I didn't know what that was. It really sounds worse than it is (unless you are pregnant) but I looked it up when I got home trying to prepare myself in case she got worse. I didn't know if she'd throw up, have a fever, etc. So as I was reading on this illness, the last paragraph said if you were pregnant and had been exposed to this virus, you should contact your OB immeditely for a blood test. Ok...so I did that. I called my OB on a Thursday, and at first she dismissed it unless I felt ill. She also told me she hadn't dealt with it much. I got off the phone with her not feeling great about our conversation, but I LOVE my OB and TRUST her. Ten minutes later she was calling me back. She had continued researching, and she wanted me to come in on Monday for a blood test. They were closed the next day for Good Friday. She told me more than likely since I'd worked in an elementary school and had kids of my own, I was probably immune to it. Most adults have already had exposure to the virus and developed an immunity to it. I felt better about that, but still remembered my red cheeks. At this point my kids had rashes on their arms and legs too so I knew they had it for sure.

I went in that Monday and had the blood test. It would tell if a) I was immune and had no recent sign of infection b)are not immune and have never been infected or c)have had a recent infection. Well they called back on Friday to tell me that I'd had a recent infection. GRREEAATTT. I shed a few tears, I'll admit, because I'd done so much research by that point. She referred me to a Maternal Fetal Medicine Center to be monitored by perinatologists and high risk nurses.

We had our first appointment at the MFM center the day I was 27 weeks. We had a very detailed ultrasound and then met with one of the perinatologist for almost an hour. He went over all of the complications this could cause. In some moms it doesn't pass to the baby. It is rare that it will. Just like it was rare that I even had it. Well guess what? I'd passed it to Clarke. The complications range from mild anemia to fetal death. In fact, lots of mom's who have stillbirths end up being tested afterwards and a good bit of them have had Parvo and not known it. So heartbreaking.

Our peri told us he'd be monitoring me 3 times a week. Ultrasounds at each appointment because it appeared Clarke was mildy anemic. They measure the MCA, which is a blood flow in the brain, to determine how anemic the baby is. Normal is below 1.5 and hers was very close to 1.5. That was on a Wednesday and he wanted to see us again that Monday, April 15, Dru's birthday, to measure again. Well that Monday it was way over 1.5. Indicating severe anemia. Which can lead to fetal hydrops which in turn could lead to fetal demise. Of course I just sat at his desk crying as he told me I'd need to go check in the hospital that night, start steroids to mature Clarke's lungs (or at least try, I was not even 28 weeks) and the next day they would take me into the OR and do a PUBS procedure to get a fetal blood sample from her, through my stomach with a large needle. They would then rush that sample to the lab, see how anemic she indeed was, then if needed, do a blood transfusion through that same needle to Clarke. Dru rushed down to Columbus while I checked myself in the medical center, Dru's mom rushed and got the kids, who had been with me and my mom at my appointment, and poor Simms was so terrified seeing me walk into the hospital. I was terrified too. They sent the NICU team in to talk to me about what to expect with a 28 weeker, and that was a frightening conversation. We had so, so many prayers going up for us. It amazed me to see and hear how many people were lifting us up in prayer. Poor Dru spent his birthday in the hospital but he did an amazing job keeping me focused on being positive. Reminding me that if it was God's timing for her to be born then it was perfect timing. I am so blessed to have a husband with such a strong faith. To sum this up, we had the PUBS the next day after 2 steroid shots, which were oh so painful, and the specialists determined she was not anemic enough to need a transfusion. Which was great to know. We had a ton of extra doctors and nurses in the OR with us because this was only the 2nd time they'd done this at the Medical Center. They usually send patients to Atlanta, but these 2 perinatologist were new to the MFM and both had extensive practice doing these procedures. My sweet OB was in there too because I was prepped for a csection in the event Clarke went into distress at any time. The procedure went a lot longer than the doctors had anticipated which caused a lot of worry for all of my family that were waiting but they had a hard time getting a sample of her blood. We spent one more night in the hospital for me to be monitored then were discharged. Sweet friends brought us dinner several nights, our sweet Sunday School class gave us gas money for all of our trips that were going to be increasing to Columbus each week, we just were blessed by so many people. Mainly through everyone's prayers.

For the next 4 weeks my 3 day per week visits continued. We would get good MCA numbers and there was never any signs of hydrops or any other complications associated with anemia. Then on May 20 the doctor got a 1.8 over and over. She was dead-on on the ultrasound so we knew it was accurate. She wanted me back the next morning to rescan because sometimes you can get false highs. Well I was almost home when she called me on my cell phone and wanted me back that night to get steroid shots and start insulin (I'd also been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and steroids can make your sugars sky rocket). At this point I was 33 weeks. Alot better than 28 if she were to be born, and in all honesty, I thought she'd be delivered this time. This time I was much more calm, prayed alot more in the context of "Your will, not mine," and I just felt ok. I wanted her out if my body wasn't the best place for her to be anymore. We did the PUBS procedure the next day, and this time she indeed needed the transfusion. So she got it. And the procedure went alot quicker than the other one because by this point she was bigger so it was easier for the doctors. We once again stayed another night for monitoring and then we were discharged the next day, praying the transfusion healed the anemia.

I've continued to go 2 times a week now. An hour each way, 2 times a week. I still get ultrasounds and they continue to measure the MCA, her umblicial artery flow and look for signs of hydrops. I also check my blood sugars 4x a day and take Metformin at night. So far things have continued to go well. I am 35 weeks now and we are doing my csection at 37 weeks which is 15 days from today.

This truly has been the most difficult pregnancy and thing I've ever gone through. To hear at each appointment that if I notice a decrease in her movement get to the hospital ASAP, to have her monitored so closely, to have to be away from my kids several afternoons a week (no kids allowed at the MFM), to know how serious this can be. It has made me stronger in my faith, made me pray more, and not just prayers begging for Clarke to be ok, but prayers of thanksgiving that we have gone through this, because it has changed me. It has made me read my Bible more than I ever have, searching for Scripture to get me through each day. It has made me realize how selfish I could be in thinking nothing could go wrong with my pregnancy. I'd had 2 great pregnancies before, why would anything go wrong for me? Such the wrong attitude to have.

Hopefully in 2 weeks we will be holding Clarke, and she will be healthy. One good thing about this virus and her having this in utero is that there are no long term side effects. She could be born anemic and need blood but hopefully that'd be the worst. We are trusting the Lord. He knows her birth story already and I have faith in Him. I know this was so, so long. I just wanted anyone, especially my readers who are pregnant, to be aware of this virus. And I didn't run spellcheck, so sorry for typos.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I'm glad to know more about Fifths Disease from your post and hopefully it will help to make people more aware. I know you can't wait to have your sweet baby in your arms! I'll continue to pray for you and Clarke.

OsbornOriginals said...

Thanks for sharing! Praying for ya'll!!

The Howell's said...

Praying for you all!!!! I didn't have to go trough difficulties for nearly as long as you, but the last weekend of my pregnancy was terrifying and I know how awful it is to constantly monitor his/her movements. Not a good feeling at all! Praying for a safe delivery and a healthy baby and mommy!

LB said...

wow, all of that is so scary. I actually read this a couple of days ago on my phone, and of course that night I dreamed that I had fifths disease!! Praying for a safe delivery and healthy baby and mom!!

Unknown said...

I am just seeing your blog. What a wonderful way to document your sweet family's life! I was aware of fifths disease but had no idea of how it could affect someone pregnant. I have LOVED seeing you and your sweet fam on instagram. Are y'all in Greenville too? We are not far away and should get together sometime!!